Monday, September 24, 2012

IPADS for Second Language Learners





So, this week I've read through several educational blogs for the mod4 assignment. One of the blogs that stood out to me and I commented on was languagemoments blog by Phil Wade. Because I plan to eventually teach ESL in the future and the fact that I had recently been curious on the use of iPads in classrooms, I read his  post Apps n' Dogme in which he discusses his experience in the use of iPads in a TOEFL class. He gives some good insight and tips on the apps that work with iPads and can be used for students to practice their vocabulary, speaking, and writing. There were two in particular, he mentioned he had used in his TOEFL class, that I thought could be useful to use in a future ESL classroom. The quizlet app can be downloaded on an iPhone or iPad where you can either  find or create lessons for students to work on. Another is scoopit where someone can curate any number of topics; such as the TOEFL links displayed with sites to practice tests and vocabulary tips and lessons etc. What I like about the iPads is it saves on making copies of handouts. Teachers can save teaching materials easily on an iPad. It can also be used to have students watch videos to practice on their speaking and listening skills. It's one of the tools that I'm looking forward to use in future classrooms. I have yet to try it out myself for  either personal or educational use. There are some great advantages to the tools an iPad provides. The free apps are helpful to some extent and it will engage students in working on practicing the language. The one thing that does concern me with iPads is students playing on it, rather than working on their lessons. There would need to be a great amount of supervision to make sure they're really working. Maybe an iPad could be helpful in using it to work with an ESL student one on one, where a teacher can focus on specific lessons that a student needs to improve on.



1 comment:

  1. The post you linked to mentions several good ways to use iPads. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete