Sunday, September 9, 2012

Several Ways I can use Blogging in a Second Language Classroom:


Reading Will Richardson's "Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts and Other Powerful Tools for Classrooms" gave me some pretty good insight for someone like me who is new to the world of teaching. I like that it allows students and teachers to fully discuss assignments and readings through blogging. It gives the students who can be relatively shy in class to be able to be comfortable in discussing their opinions and reflections on assignments in their blogs. As someone who was an ESL student I think I would have benefited from that. Since I myself was an extremely shy student, I was always nervous about speaking out in class and wasn't entirely comfortable in asking the questions I wanted to ask or even express my opinions. I do believe that there are students who are in the exact position that I used to been in and blogging presents an excellent opportunity for them to build confidence in their English Language skills. We also need to make sure that we create a safe online environment and educate students and parents on the safety uses for online blogging. Teachers and parents must supervise students since the internet is so open to the rest of the world. One idea that I liked from the readings for an ESL Classroom is posting assignments that would get students to work on their vocabulary and grammar. I would also get students to reflect on readings based on their English proficiency. They would be able to fully express themselves and their opinions. Another use for blogging is as a teacher being able to create additional links and sources (being able to connect with students with English as their native language) for students to use in order to work on improving their Vocabulary, Grammar, and Speaking skills. One of the sites that is helpful in determining NewYork State learning standards for ESL students that I think is helpful is NYLearns it explains the levels of standards for English as a Second Language from K-12 by using standard performance indicators, what grade level, and the subject area. I decided to post two standards that are used for English as a Second Language:

Standard 1: Students will listen, speak, read, and write in English information and understanding.
  • Students Learning English as a second language will use English to acquire, interpret, apply, and transmit information for content area learning and personal use. They will develop and use skills and strategies appropriate to their level of English proficiency to collect data, facts, and ideas, discover relationships, concepts, and generalizations; and use knowledge generated from oral, written, and electronically produced texts.
Standard 2: Students will listen, speak, read, and write in  English for literary response, enjoyment, and expression.

  • Students learning English as a second language will use English for self-expression, artistic creation, and participation in popular culture. They will develop and use skills and strategies appropriate to their level of English proficiency to listen, to read, and respond to oral, written, and electronically produced texts and performances. Relate texts and performances to their own lives, and other works, and develop understanding of diverse social, historical, and cultural dimensions texts and performances present.

  In general I like that it creates a "collaborative learning experience" that Richardson presents in the chapters. It's an excellent learning experience for both teachers and students and gives students a chance to get interested in a subject and fully immerse in their assignments and discussions with one another.

http://nylearns.org/default.aspx
http://www.p12.nysed.gov/biling/resource/ESL/06PerInd.pdf

8 comments:

  1. I like your point about interacting online as a way for students who are shy or reluctant to feel more comfortable participating. I think technology is great when used in this way. It's another way to open doors and create learning opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have gleaned a lot of useful ideas from the Richardson text. I hope you get a chance to try out some of them with your future students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Julia, and I think that a weblog give the opportunity to shy people to feel more comfortable and participate much more than If they were in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree with Julia and Carlos. I was a shy student too, and if I'd had something like a blog where I could say what I was thinking but after having the time to reflect, I may have gotten even more out of my language classes, or even my other subjects! Hopefully, if a student received a positive response online, they would begin to open up in the classroom as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the point you bring up about shy/reserved students. As a Spanish teacher, I always hear students saying that they don't like to speak the language in front of others. I find that many are easily embarrassed and will tense right up when asked to speak aloud (whether it's answering a question or reading something). I have found over the years that many of my "shy" students do very well on written assignments because they are able to express themselves better and are not worried about others watching and hearing them. A blog would allow that as well as let their classmates read their thoughts/opinions and would hopefully give these students more confidence. On a side note, I love the setup of your blog! It is nicely decorated, very neat! Mine is quite plain, I am still getting used to blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing about your own experience as a learner of English. I wonder if a medium like voicethread might be another good tech tool to incorporate in order to give students who feel shy or hesitant speaking out in class a chance to practice their oral language skills in a setting that might feel less threatening than when they are put on the spot and asked to speak in front of peers in a classroom...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anna I was thinking about the use of voicethread as well. I think some students may feel comfortable in leaving voice comments. You could even create a group discussion and it will give students another form of feeling free to come out of their shell and express their ideas. Alyssa I also think voicethread might be a good addition for a Spanish class, especially for the students that are shy or easily embarrassed when they speak a different language. Maybe they can have a voicethread conversation in Spanish?

    ReplyDelete
  8. They can get a chance to practice their vocabulary and work with each other in other class assignments as well!

    ReplyDelete